Your Little Spray Tan Guide
-Exfoliation: Performed Before Each Session to Remove Dry, Flaky Skin.
·A sunless tan is developed on the outermost layer of your skin, which is subject to a normal skin shedding cycle. The solution affects only the top 25% of skin, so you will want to exfoliate the dead skin cells from off of your body (oil-free scrub) the night prior to your session or on the day of. Pay special attention to areas of the body that are prone to rough skin patches like hands, knees, elbows, ankles and feet.···Exfoliating provides a consistent, fresh top layer of skin, giving you more even and long lasting tan.··
Whether you shave or wax is completely up to you, but both should be done before the application of the tan. It is best to shave the night before (at least 8 hours) and wax one or two days before, as this will allow the hair follicles/pores to close before getting your tan. Shaving after the application will take off some of your tan, leaving you looking blotchy, so shave only when you really need to. We recommend using a new, sharp razor and avoid using shaving creams or oils.
Come into TOAST all Natural
• Deodorant generally has one of two consequences after a spray tan: blocking the solution from reaching the skin or turning the skin under the arms green. As neither are desirable, simply not wearing deodorant during the appointment is a necessity in preparation for spray tan.
• Makeup should also be left off during the appointment as it can block the solution from reaching the skin.
• Lotions & Oils: Do not apply body oils or moisturizer to skin, as this can create a barrier on your skin.
• Hair must be off of the face and neck. Use clips or scrunchies (we carry extra hairnets and clips at the salon and will provide them upon request).
• Jewelry must be removed before being airbrushed.
• Clothing: To avoid stains wear dark, loose-fitting clothes after your appointment. Professional spray tans dry quickly, but it’s possible for some color to rub off on fabric, especially if the solution is tinted with wash-off bronzers. To assure your tan doesn't stain or streak, most self-tanning tips suggest avoiding light colors and tight fabrics until your next shower.
• Manicure/Pedicure Get your manicure / pedicure before your session, otherwise the scrubs and acetone that the nail salons use will scrub off some of the tan.
Note: Allow your tan to sit for 6-8 hours (unless you received the Lavish Express Tan or Rapid Tan, which is 2-4 hours). Our organic solutions must be given time to activate your skins' pigment and create the desired brown color. During this time, do NOT moisturize, shower, bathe, sweat heavily, go swimming, wear tight clothing, use antiperspirants or makeup.
Keep that tan looking Fabulous!
Sleeping in Your Airbrush Tan
If you choose to sleep in your airbrush tan, cover your bed with dark sheets and pillow cases so that any bronzer does not stain your regular sheets. Sleeping in long loose baggy pants and a baggy t-shirt is best.
Do not wet your skin for at least 6-8 hours after receiving your tanning services (unless you received the Lavish Express Tan or Rapid Tan, which is 2-4 hours). Avoid taking long, hot showers and soaking baths. We recommend using cleansers listed below and avoid scrubbing your skin using loofahs, washcloths or exfoliating gloves. When you shower for the first time after your tan, do not be alarmed if the initial cosmetic bronzer washes off. This is part of the tanning process and your skin will continue to tan. The longer you wait to shower/bathe, the darker your tan will become. In between your spray tan sessions try to wash only the important areas of the body and when you step out do not rub your skin with towel, dab the body dry.····
Proper moisturizing prolongs the skin renewal cycle, resulting in a long-lasting sunless tan! Apply moisturizer twice daily once after showering. This reduces the rate at which your skin naturally exfoliates and will keep your tan looking its best and lasting longer.··
Ingredients to look for in products to stay away from with your organic tan.
These specific ingredients can strip your color of your spray faster and can also makes it blotchy:
• Sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate
• Petroleum or mineral oils
• Acids: AHA or Alpha Hydroxy, BHA products Beta Hydroxy, Salicylic, Lactic, Glycolic
Products That Can Harm Your Tan:
• Antibiotics and other medications (sometimes) that affect your skin, can also affect your tan.
• Some anti-aging products.
• Toners containing alcohols or Witch Hazel in higher amounts. Look at where they are in the ingredient list. If they are in the top three then you can have problems.
• Band-Aid or adhesive tape applied to skin will pull the tan off.
• Bar soaps can dry out the skin leaving your tan blotchy.
• Body hair bleach make your tan blotchy.
• Bug spray, perfumes, body sprays when sprayed directly onto skin, can remove or fade the tan. As an alternative, spray clothing, or spray a "cloud" of spray that you can walk through, instead of directly onto skin.
• Curel Lotion can affect a sunless tan.
• Dove soap, and Dove Shower gel, deodorant will strip your tan
• Facial mask
• Baby Oil, Cocoa butter, Oil Of Olay
• Hair Inhibiting Lotions tend to make a sunless tan yellow.
• Sweat heavily your tan can fade faster, especially in body fold areas. (arm bends, knee bends, between breasts etc. (Jacuzzi, hot tub & pool as well)
Note: A women’s tan may (but not always) develop differently during various hormonal changes (i.e., ovulation, menstruation, pregnancy). The tan may appear streaky, patchy, fade quicker than normal or produce lighter or no color. The solutions we use are organic so you may have little to no problems.
For any other questions please contact a TOAST spray tan tech at (561) 455-4282